25 July 2014

Six Months Doesn't Seem That Long Now

When I was very young I noticed that time went slower when I was bored and faster when I was engaged. This makes a dilemma, though.  Being aware of my mortality at a very early age I realized life would seem much shorter if I had a good time, but much harder if I did not.  Hell of a choice.

What I did not know then was that boredom was a luxury of youth.  Adulthood never lacks for things to do, that must be done, that are so numerous they cannot all be done.  The result is that time seems to move faster as one gets older (That and the ever smaller difference one day or month or year makes compared to the days and months and years already lived.) 

All of which is to say I was shocked when I saw how long ago my last posting was.  Six months!  My birthday was the last occasion and now half a year had gone by without even noticing.

Of course, now that Facebook and Twitter are so popular that not only occupies more of my time but channels some of the urge to communicate.  It seemed for a little while that blogs were passe as well.  

But it now seems evident that all three forms are forming a little menage a trois (gee two French terms in two sentences.  Ain't I literary!) where one blogs - then tweets about the blog, which then appears on your Facebook page.  Very entrepreneurial I have not doubt, and way too much for me to do.  

Aside from the shock of a half year passing, though, what prompted me today was an essay in ye New York Times Book Review of July 20, on poetry, in which David Lehman says,
What Twitter offers is ultimate immediacy expressed with ultimate concision. "Whatever else Twitter is, it is a literary form," the critic Kathryn Schulz has written.
Perhaps, 140 characters will become the new haiku.  That day is a long way off, as the art of the haiku is not creating seventeen syllables in three lives (5/7/5) but in using them to express what Matsuo Basho called sabi, shiori and hosomi.  

One power of the haiku (properly hokku) of 17th century Japan that is present in the modern tweet is immediacy.  It may turn out that Tweets will be the zen poetry of the coming age.  

No comments: