22 November 2012

Full of Grace...

Long long ago, when I was a boy, radio alarm clock would go off on Sunday mornings and instead of news or music there would be a broadcast of the rosary.  Yep, in those days one could have a successful radio program consisting of repeated prayers to Mary. To this day I can recite the basic elements in my sleep, having heard them in my sleep over and over again.  "Hail Mary, full of grace..." 

Being Thanksgiving I should now speak of the many graces/gifts I have received.  But instead I am wondering why I write this blog so little now.  Why do this at all, in a world saturated with words?  Are not we over blessed with thoughts and musings and ironic quips. 

One industry site says there are 164 million blogs read by 123 million people.  That's right, less than one reader per blog.  Twitter has over 500 million accounts.  Facebook about 1 billion.  Maybe one can have too much of a good thing... presuming it is good in the first place.

So tell me, is this worth it?  Not just this blog but any blog.  What gives this or any feed value?  As more and more stuff demands my attention, what I do notice gets less and less attention, because - after all - my time is not expanding at all.  In fact, it gets less and less each day.  Mortality is making me decide what it worth spending my ever diminishing supply. 

Then I remember Whitman...

"I find letters from God dropt in the street, and every one is sign'd by God's name,
And I leave them where they are, for I know that wheresoe'er I go,
Others will punctually come for ever and ever."

Maybe the point is to write and let it fall, 'epistle to be left in the earth' addressed to no one from no one, the equivalent of one hand clapping. 




No comments: