09 July 2011

Sixes and Sevens

Dear Reader,

I don't know where the phrase comes from but I am at 'sixes and sevens.' If memory serves, this means 'betwixt and between,' 'torn between two lovers,' 'dazed and confused,' or some other sort of consternation.

There is nothing wrong, mind you. No urgency is wailing like a siren; no deadline is looming; no danger lurks. I simply mean there are too many things to do and so I am sort of frozen. Do I organize my financial papers, or do I organize my photos on the computer, or should I hang pictures on the wall, or should I plan the coming year's worship, or maybe I should call clean the vacant apartment on the third floor, or read years worth of postponed magazines and purchased books, or study Hebrew, or pull more weeds, or...

So what do I do? Whine about it in a blog. Talk about your cheap cop-out. But this too is a task, welcome compared to others, because I can justify doing this instead of all those.

Being organized and focused has never been easy for me. I can be one or the other, it seems, never both at the same time. My only consolation is that most people seem to struggle as I do. If you are one of those who are both, please keep it to yourself. I already feel inept enough. But if you are like me, give a shout. It's lonesome looking at such a long to-do list.

Right now I think it's time to shower. Another good excuse!

4 comments:

Elisa (Nudelman) Winter said...

Embrace ineptness. Give up trying to be other than you are. As I have had to accept a body type that is utterly unacceptable in my culture, and to dismiss yearning to be something I am not and will never be under the conditions I choose to live in. Once and for all, leave expectation of orderliness behind and embrace your chaotic messy self. Shrug your shoulders and say to yourself, "Oh, well, this is how it is." And live with that for a time. See how it feels. Let us know.

linnielou6 said...

I feel your pain as I woke up this morning wondering which of the 20ish things I "should" get going on. What did I do? Jump on facebook and came across your blog-when I was actually
on my way to take a shower:)

Revwilly said...

I'm feeling strongly both ways!

linnielou6 said...

I feel your pain as I woke up this morning wondering which of the 20ish things I "should" get going on. What did I decide to do? Jump on facebook and read your blog! -as I was actually on my way to take a shower :) Oh well...