20 March 2011

Oh Well,

Dear Reader,

It seems our climate here in West Michigan will deprive of us the 'super moon,' which was full last night and almost so tonight. I would not mind so much, except that the next time this happens will be when I am 76. You can be sure I will not be in West Michigan then, if only for the event.

When you get close to 60 the harsh arithmetic of age tells you that you can't bank on getting more than one shot at some things. That's always true in a strict sense, of course. But let's face it, we play the odds most of the time. Tomorrow might not come for us or for the world, but the odds are that they well. But it is less likely, on a probability basis, that we will have multiple chances to see super moons, comets, climb mountains or other things that are rare or demanding.

That's why I am pondering India and Nepal. Places like that are best to see when one has good knees, a strong back, and other physical powers that age has a way of eroding. I have no need to climb Everest or bathe in the Ganges, but I would like to see and sense and encounter them closer than a photo. I could add Macchu Picchu, Xian, the Kremlin, Tikal, The Alhambra, Saqqara, Petra, and other places. Odds are I will not see them all, but it would be good to see a few with my own eyes and smell the air with my own nose, and feel the sand or stone or ground beneath my own feet.

I just returned from a 3 week jaunt to South California, something I have done for the last four years at this season. And most years have included something in addition to the retreat itself. This year I shared San Simeon, the Pacific Coast Highway (which had a major landslide the week after we were there, thank goodness) and Yosemite with my wife. We saw friends in Missouri and California and Colorado and a sister in New Mexico. Rich, rewarding, and more exhausting than I remember when making such trips years ago.

We're back of course, and back into the consoling rhythms of ordinary life. Good to get a decent night's sleep more than once a week, for one thing. And there is something good going on at my church, a spirit more than anything, that is full of optimism. This, of course, is exactly what churches ought to have but often do not. Especially in tough economic times. Can't say exactly where it came from, but even rational religious liberals can catch a whiff of grace now and then. I say breathe deep and enjoy it.

1 comment:

Rabbi David J.B. Krishef said...

Purim night, Saturday night, was the full moon. It was gorgeous!