31 January 2009

Mit Schlag

Ok, I was away for a few days. Was guest preaching in Fairfield County CT last Sunday morning and in Westchester County NY in the afternoon. Here’s the fun fact about that trip. I drove.

Why not fly? Weather worries. Flying freezes your options, but driving, however longer, is flexible. As my duty could not be postponed by a day, flexibility was important. I was lucky on the outbound side, but got delayed by a day coming home.

To be honest, I like the long drives. Concentrates the mind wonderfully, to paraphrase Dr. Johnson, as there is only one thing you can do – drive. In the office there are always multiple issues and projects and tasks. My brain is always loud with several voices each demanding my time and effort – worship, program management, pastoral care, lay leadership support, community relations, blog posts, and so on. This blog mirrors that cacophony, veering from religion to politics, to philosophy, to daily lunacy and what all. That may be why this blog is less popular. That, and that my posts are long. Who wants to read this much anymore? I understand the best are about something, and rarely more than two grafs. This one is not at all like that and so what you get may seem sublime one day and stupid the next. I like to think it's more like reality than others. Perhaps I am deluded.

Anyway, in the car there is the road, the wheel, the miles to go, and that’s about it. What a luxury. I am back at home now, and a long line of lobbyists has formed in my head, foremost of which is tomorrow’ service. Writing this was a warm up, if you will. Ironic to call it warm up as the weather is determined to be cold forever here. So to the sermon, which I wrote by hand in a favorite restaurant in Brooklyn – an Austrian style “beisl” scant blocks from my hosts that reminds me of Salzburg and Vienna.

Someday I shall return and sit again in the Café Drei Beisl in the Michaelplatz, read newspapers from Frankfurt and Paris and nurse a café mélange for an hour or more. Not today, though.

2 comments:

Don Pearson said...

Vacillation

IV
My fiftieth year had come and gone,
I sat, a solitary man,
In a crowded London shop,
An open book and empty cup
On the marble table-top.
While on the shop and street I gazed
My body of a sudden blazed;
And twenty minutes more or less
It seemed, so great my happiness,
That I was blessed and could bless.

~ William Butler Yeats

WFW said...

you flatter me, sir. I am honored.