22 November 2008

Thin Skinned


I’m cold.

Our weather turned hard last week, and we are about 10 degrees F lower than normal for this month. That’s part of it for sure, but not so many years ago even this cold (about freezing point give or take) was merely chilly. Now, I shiver.

From what I can tell, three things are making me more cold averse.


1 - I have less body fat. That’s good, but the insulating value is also less.

2 - I have Reynauld’s syndrome, which makes my fingers and toes respond to the cold by going numb. The toes just started this year, and so my feet feel cold more now.

3 - I am older.

No question that 3 is the most significant. Isn’t that why all those retired folks head to Florida (no it’s not a law, but that was a good joke) and Arizona and the like?

At the risk of offending my friends in Florida, I don’t get it. Once you’re warm, that’s about all there is. Ok, there are the palmetto bugs and hurricanes and Disney world. So call me venal.

Arizona has scenery in spades, but there’s the desert thing – like the summer heat. Maybe I’m too sensitive, but I think 100 degrees F is as unpleasant as 20 degrees.

But the real disincentive for me is that there are all those old people. Nothing wrong with being old, it sure beats the alternative as they say, but a world of old people is as off putting as a world of teenagers.

Retirement is still a decade away, and in this economy perhaps a little further than that, but the way we have warehoused old folks so that we have geezer ghettos called retirement or adult communities makes me shiver almost as much as the cold.

Can you tell the daylight is dwindling? My scrooge is awakening to the gathering gloom. Sorry about that. I’ll just feed the fire and eat my gruel. I wonder what I could get for those bed curtains….?

2 comments:

Revwilly said...

I'm totally with you on the old folk thing.

Will

WFW said...

When I lived in NYC, I noticed that the neighborhood was much more diverse in terms of age. Plenty of young and old people. Why?

Apartment houses have elevators and superintendents, and you don't have to drive to do everything. Simple, but oh so invisible in our automobile dominated society.