16 June 2007

The Hurrier I Go

What a weekend. And it’s only half over.

Number 2 son went off on a weekend canoe trip with his scout troop this morning. His laggardly quality made my wife murderously angry, as we have a lot more to do

Today it was finish a sermon, conduct a wedding, attend two festivals. I also washed dishes, swept floors, cleaned up a little and made ready for the next big event...

.. Number one son heading to Boston for a Harvard summer program. He is interested in urban planning and design and they have six week immersion program he is leaving for tomorrow morning. So it’s do the laundry, pack the bags, get the money, etc etc.

Tomorrow is also my last sermon for the summer. I am answering questions put by congregants, which essentially means delivering 15 mini sermons of a minute each. Wish me luck. It’s great fun but very hard.

Number 2 son comes home tomorrow afternoon, with wet clothes no doubt. We (wife and I) work that into our preparations to leave for a conference on the west coast for which we leave on Tuesday am. We should leave Monday but I am staying to attend a gala dinner whose guest is 42, Bill Clinton. Don’t whistle at my status. We’ll be with 2100 others. But in all my life I have never crossed paths with a president, former or sitting. I did play in a band to warm up the crowd for George McGovern when he was campaigning in St. Louis 1972 so I was close to the podium. But as he did not win, so …

So every one of us is going in a different direction right now. Very disorienting. Isn’t summer supposed to be a slowing down and easier pace? I remember impossibly long hot summers when I rambled through woods, played street ball, rode my bike, bought ice dream from the Good Humor Man, ran through sprinklers, and god knows what else. What happened?

“Why should be in such a hurry and waste of life,” Thoreau famously wrote. I cannot say if all this is a waste. I surely hope not. But it sure is a hurry. As predicted by my high school music teacher, with every passing year time seems to move faster.

Ironically, music is one of the few things where time stands still. That is, it happens in time but seems to transcend it. all the moments clump together into a larger thing so that the note giving way to note is not reckoned as something lost and gone but as something vital to the current moment and a foretaste of moments to come.

I think we want a life that feels like music. We want the days and moments to hold together like a song or a symphony, to echo long after they are gone, and fit into an arc and shape hat extends far into the future. Some days I get a fragment of that, probably more than most people. But I want more.

Somehow telling you this helps.

1 comment:

Darnita said...

I AGREE THAT MUSIC IS ONE OF THE THINGS WHERE TIME STANDS STILL. I BELIEVE IT IS BECAUSE OF THE SILENCE BETWEEN THE MUSICAL NOTES. WERE IT NOT FOR THE SILENCE, THERE WOULD BE NOTHING BUT NOISE.