29 November 2006

The Goose is Getting Fat

I am a Scrooge. Odd for a clergyman you might think, but not really when you ponder it. I’ll leave that for you to figure out. I only mention it because I need help being properly merry and bright.

Last year I did it by writing a December Diary which I shared with friends and members. Ironically, that helped me deal with my seasonal affective disorder (not winter but yuletide) quite well. That was a lot of work, though, and I dare not do it again and establish a pattern. Even if I wanted to, I would run out of things worth sharing.

That’s when I had a stroke of genius. At least I think it is.

Why don’t you tell me stuff? I’ll make it easy. Write me with a memory of Christmas seasons past, a paragraph or two or three at most. I’ll post them along with some of my own memories of holidays gone by.

Let’s have a month of telling each other stories – happy, sad, young, old, family or solo, touching or cold, and make our own advent calendar of stories we all can share.

Here’s how to do it. Post a comment to this post or a succeeding one. Instead of publishing them as part of that day’s conversation I’ll reject the comment as a comment so I can post it the next day or later. If we’re lucky we’ll get lots and lots of them, making a Stone Soup of a sort, worthy not just of a blog but a book.

I’ll try to publish one a day - if there is one to print. So the more you send the more you get. It’s sort of like Christmas itself, the more you give the more you receive. I’m feeling merrier already.

So help the pastor overcome his curmudgeonly soul and send your holiday memories of all kinds. Gather round the virtual fireplace and pull up a chair.

See you there!

No comments: